Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Unequal Distribution of Water

While in the Midwest last month, Scott and I kept commenting on the amount of rain. It seemed to rain at least every other day. On the drive across southern Illinois, we saw a lake where there should have been a field with crops. The water was literally to the horizon. When we first got to Missouri, I found myself going to a window and watching the rain. It had been a long time since I had experienced that much rain. So while Midwest is flooded, the Southeast is parched. I read in the paper this week that our county in NC has been rated with six other counties in the state as D4 or Exceptional Drought conditions. This is the driest rating, drier than D3-Extreme Drought. We stopped watering the grass in the early Spring but are still watering our flowers. Scott is always thinking about the possiblity of our well going dry. This is a picture I took of the yard today.

As the flood waters of the Mississippi continue south, Amy and family live far enough from the river for their home to be safe. I heard this morning that the amount of expected flooding has begun to be overestimated instead of underestimated as it was in Iowa. Brenda & Jason are friends of theirs who recently moved back home to Iowa. Even though their home was safe from the flooding, their church wasn't. I borrowed these pics from Brenda's blog. The first one is the parking lot and the second is the back of the sanctuary.

1 comment:

amy said...

it is a terrible thing. you guys could eventually be without water b/c you are on a well & people up here are losing their homes & everything in them (and some have lost their lives) because of the overabundance of rain. if i could bottle it & send it your way, i would!