Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Remembering A Small Town Southern Man

My daddy was born into what Tom Brokaw referred to as the “Greatest Generation”. He was a child during the Depression and became a man during WWII. He married my mama, they had four daughters, lived and died in the same small town where they were both born. He worked hard all his life because that was just what you did. He worked the land, worked in textile mills, excavated land, poured concrete, and created beautiful things from wood. He and Mama were married 54 years before she died. It broke his heart. That broken heart went on beating for 364 days before it stopped and he was able to join her. Alan Jackson wrote a song about his father, Small Town Southern Man. Every time I hear it I think of Daddy. This is the chorus:
He bowed his head to Jesus
And he stood for Uncle Sam
And he only loved one woman
Was always proud of what he had
He said his greatest contribution
Is the ones you leave behind
Raised on the ways and gentle kindness
Of a small town Southern man

I miss you, Daddy.

1 comment:

amy said...

seriously.... the posts about my grandparents are heart wrenching. i HATE country music, but the words of the chorus do ring true for Papaw. I may just have to listen to that one all the way thru.

I miss him dearly, too. T&Q were in my chair when i saw the post. Trip was really excited when i told him that was Papaw. I told Trip that I miss Papaw a lot & he said, "but when you get to Heaven, you'll be so happy to see him!" He's right about that!