Saturday, February 06, 2010

Winter Weather & Signs

This is our 5th winter in North Carolina. Previous to the current one, we have had very little snow fall. Summer 2008, our county was one of 6 in the state to be rated as Exceptional Drought conditions. Then Winter of 2008 the rains came and the lakes and rivers began to rise little by little. Fast forward to the week before Christmas 2009, we got 6 inches of snow. Last weekend while in Buford, we got at least another 6 inches here. Thursday night it snowed another couple of inches. The weather forecasters had predicted earlier in the week an ice storm for this weekend. Thankfully we only got a little snow and the rest rain. I am not sure the amount of total precipitation we have received this winter but I know it is a lot. We can't seem to dry out before it starts again. I am looking forward to a beautiful Spring and a lush Summer in the Smokey Mountains.

On a different note (or if you believe that our weather is a sign, then it is not so different), I am fascinated by small businesses that advertise things that don't appear to me to be related. The first one I saw after we moved to NC was a business on Main St. that advertises sheet music & pet supplies. I saw a sign in the front yard of a farmhouse that said "Fresh eggs & Used Computers". I am glad the adjectives weren't switched. The other day I saw a new business that wanted you to be sure and shop there for Valentines Day. The sign read, "Flowers, Gifts & Knives". I could only think that the last one was in case you forgot the first two.

1 comment:

Josh Puckett said...

Ha. That's pretty funny. I'm kinda interested in the Used Eggs and Fresh computers.